Sunday, May 15, 2011

Developing Your Personal GAME Plan

Developing Your Personal GAME Plan

Having a GAME plan can help focus personal development as well as include intentional learning. Dr. Katherine Cennamo describes a GAME plan to include having a goal, taking action, monitoring the learning, as well as evaluating the learning (Laureate Education, 2009). All of these planned aspects will increase the knowledge of the teacher trying to learn more about a topic.

For my GAME plan I am selecting two goals in the NETS-T to strengthen my confidence and proficiency. The two goals I am selecting are to design and develop digial – age learning experiences and assessment as well as model digital – age work and learning (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). I chose these two goals because I feel that I am currently working hard trying to incorporate them into my kindergarten classroom but I feel a GAME plan would focus me a bit more to achieve my goal.

The actions I feel I need to take to achieve these goals would be to deliberately plan lessons that incorporate technology into my curriculum. This inclusion can be teacher modeling with student participation or students completing authentic assessments using creativity and self – directed learning with technology. I will also do research on the internet to find interesting ways to use technology in my Kindergarten classroom. There are many great resources for teachers and setting aside to find them will need to be part of the plan of action.

I will monitor my progress by having a long range planning schedule. I probably will focus on one subject area at a time and begin to incorporate technology with a goal of about three times per week. I will highlight the technology used in my lesson plans so it stands out when I am using technology. It will make it more noticeable to me during my planning for the following weeks. I can also choose one night each week and set aside fifteen or twenty minutes to allow myself to explore internet resources.

I will evaluate my learning by seeing how often students are being exposed to technology within my classroom by revisiting my lesson plans. I will also incorporate ways for students to demonstrate their understanding of technology tools that I have been modeling for them. Because one of my goals is to model digital – age work and learning, most of my students will learn by watching and doing. Therefore, as they are watching me model, they are also processing how they would be able to use the technology tool as well. Providing opportunities to present their learning will be an evaluation of my modeling.

International Society for Technology in Education (2008). Nets for teachers, 2008. Accessed from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers/nets-for-teachers-2008.aspx on May 12, 2011.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Promoting Self-Directed Learning With Technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

2 comments:

  1. Stacey,
    I love the fact that you addressed the element of time. I feel that one of the biggest failures in project management is the disregard for the amount of time these things take. I cannot tell you how many projects I have started that never got finished due to the lack of planning for the amount of time it would take.
    I thought of one suggestion as I read your post in regards to searching the web for suggestions. Could you also use others around you to create a network of people that are looking for ideas for you as well? I do not know if you have a computer teacher at your school, but I use ours quite often. I give him little projects or ideas to brainstorm and he comes back to me in a few days with some great suggestions. I also have turned to our support teachers whose job is to find resources for us in their area of expertise. All of these people can be working for you while you are still doing your nightly searches.
    Thanks for the post,
    Nicole Feldvebel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,
    Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, we do have BTI's (Building Technology Integrators) that can help me do some searches. Also, as a Kindergarten team, we have decided this year to focus on SMART notebook files - to find and create ones that fit in our curriculum. We have a folder set up in our school's shared drive so each teacher has access to the files. We have divided it into subject areas as well as topics so when we are planning we can look in the files and see if anything fits our needs. We are acquiring so many new resources and it is great to have seven people working on the same goal so all can benefit.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete