Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

I am really enjoying learning about social learning theories because a good amount of the time in my classroom, I have my students collaborate during activities or to complete a task. Even in second grade, students are able to collaborate with each other to gain more meaning on a topic or a different approach to completing a task. I also feel in second grade it is very important for students to be practicing problem solving skills and cooperative and social learning is a great way to incorporate those skills.

With social learning, I feel high expecations must be set in order for students to get the most out of the activity. They must know how to interact with each other, take turn, and value all group member's ideas. Cooperative learning and social learning allow students to view each other as teachers and gain valuable knowledge from each other. I feel it also makes them less dependent on the teacher for giving them information and are more willing to use a more knowledgeable other.

The technology resources presented this week, I found to be very valuable to the classroom as well as social learning. The social learning theory's goal is to have students engaged in their learning while collaborating with others. Through the use of programs such as Google Docs and Voice Thread, students are achieving these goals. I feel Google Docs would work really well with older students, including upper elementary. I feel it is a bit complicated for lower elementary, but not impossible. Also, students needing an e-mail address, or Google account, to access this makes me uneasy. Our district just gave all students K-12 an e-mail address. I am unsure how I feel about this, but at least if it is through the district, it can be closely monitored. If it is through Google, there may be less filtering and more privacy to their account than through a school district.

I can definately see Voice Thread working in my Kindergarten classroom next year! I am actually very excited about this! After the example of the boy discussing his monster, a world of possibilities came into my mind for my five year olds! First, I do think it takes away a lot of pressure of them having to write about a picture. I definately think they need to write but it would be a great beginning for KidWriting. I think students would be more willing to talk into a microphone than write as much as they would be saying. Students are really required to only write one to two sentences. However, when they would be speaking, they would really be telling a story as we noticed in the example shown in this week's video.

I am very excited to complete a Vocie Thread this week and see how the program works. I am hoping it is as easy to use as it looked on the video program because I think my Kindergarteners will be able to handle using it with little guidance.

6 comments:

  1. Stacey,

    I can tell through your post this week you are pumped about social learning theories, and the possibilities they have in your classroom. I also get the impression that a lot of your instructional structure is built around social learning theories, even if you did not previously recognize it as this.

    You have made a great point, one that I try to also instill in my students. If our students are going to work together on various projects, with various classmates throughout the school year, then it is our responsibility as teachers to model what we expect our groups to look and act like.

    On a personal opinion level, I do not think you have much to worry about with the emails being given out to students at your school. In the past my school district has used gaggle.net as its primary email provider. Students K-12 had a gaggle account; however, only middle school through high school had them active. This past school year I had the fifth grade accounts, only in my building, activated. I spent a portion of the school year teaching about emailing, cyber bullying, and more. My students loved the email, because they could email friends, family, myself, etc. Plus, the email account had an automatic filter. If a student accidentally typed "as$" instead of "ask", myself and our librarian were notified. Sweet deal. So, although you will probably touch on the basics with your kids, I would not worry too much about it. Think how much you probably love email. They will too.

    Also, VoiceThread is cool! I will check back to see yours when it is up. Mine is available through my blog.

    Happy Saturday!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 31, 2010

    Stacey,

    I enjoyed reading your post this week as it gives me some insight on elementary social learning. Often I wonder how younger children utilize technology in their classes and using these tools collaboratively is a great way for students to make strong connections.

    I would have the same initial concern regarding emails but Chris has provided feedback that calms those fears. Hopefully all school systems are screening that well.

    I agree, this class has already given many interesting tools that will benefit all grade levels. The voicethread was really neat and not that time-consuming granted it was not my best work but I feel more comfortable creating one.

    Good luck to you as you practice using new forms of technology with your 2nd graders.

    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea that you are going to use voicethread with your students. I am thinking down the same line to have my students tell about story versus having them draw all the time. My students are not writing yet so what a great way to get their ideas out there. We could listen to each one to see what they thought and the students who love to hear themselves. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey - I would have to agree after incorporating social learning theories this year that I also see more interaction and cooperative learning among my students. I will admit that I was a bit against the concept in the beginning - "It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks."

    I had years of lesson plans and opportunities to perfect these lessons so I was not looking forward to redoing all of my lessons and instructional material to utilize our new CPM curriculum effectively. After going through this weeks resources and peer blogs, I feel I have put names to these new teaching concepts and have gathered additional teaching concepts to be more successful in my classroom with the teaching material I have for the current curriculum we have.

    I enjoyed reading you blog and feel newly inspired by your enthusiasm. Best of luck to you in the up-coming school year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Voice thread in your Kintergarden classroom! Good for you. As a middle and high school teachnology teacher I love the idea of exposing kids to positive uses of emerging technologies in education as early as possible. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Keep us all posted. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacey,

    I had a lot of fun using VoiceThread and that left me with the impression that my 5th graders would enjoy using it as well. They always get so excited when a new piece of technology is introduced to them. I also think it would be a great way to communicate with parents. There are so many different possibilities. You had some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete